Environment, Lifestyle and Consciousness
As a part of our Environment Initiative, the Brahma Kumaris are exploring the connection between the consciousness of the individual and the collective effect on the state of the planet. Our consciousness determines the values by which we live. Our values form the basis of our actions which in turn determine whether or not they contribute to the protection and sustainability of the environment.
We have chosen four values which we consider play a vital role in sustainable living: Simplicity, Respect, Non-violence and Empowerment. We have designed workshops on each of these values. Each workshop uses meditation to help the individual consolidate these values for themselves. We also have a workshop on how consciousness affects matter.
Workshop series on values supporting sustainable living
- Simple living - is an important and popular issue. This workshop will help you improve your ability to live a simple but fully satisfying life, thereby moving away from over consumption and exploitation of the earth’s resources. Getting in touch with your inner core of harmony, happiness and satisfaction will help you to sustain lifestyle changes.
- Respect – in the past people depended more on nature thereby respecting and living in harmony with the environment. To re-establish this way of living, we need to first enhance respect and harmony within ourselves.
- Empowerment – an environmentally friendly lifestyle is challenging; it involves breaking old patterns and habits. Meditation and inner strength can help us find new ways of living and also discard old patterns which no longer serve their purpose.
- Non-violence – being vegetarian is one of the most effective contributions you can make to reducing CO2 emissions. People usually become vegetarian to show care and respect for animals, to live non-violently and to improve psychological and physical wellbeing. However, the contribution to the environment should not be underestimated.
- Consciousness and Energy – in this workshop we will explore how everything is energy, whether physical or non-physical. Thoughts are energy and the material world is energy. What is the connection between physical and non-physical energy? What is the role of spirituality? Is it possible to learn more about spirituality from recent scientific research?